Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Where's the "Look" Going?

I don't get it.


I remember thinking this when I was about 12 or 13 and I opened my first issue of Vogue. (I was a late bloomer in the Vogue world. My Mom didn't have any vintage issues laying around for me to sift through as a small child,thus starting my early development into a chic, fashionable little girl, as romantic as that overdone story *Sorry, "childhood memory"* may seem to the fashionistas who recount the first time they read Vogue)
The models all looked like...little kids. Like pre-pubescent boys, with alien eyes and babydoll lips.
Then there were the ones that, in my oppinion at the time, we just plain UGLY.
I mean, how could these girls be MODELS?

I get it now, and I find them extremely beautiful (moreso than those beauty pageant-type commercial girls doing makeup or *shudder* catalogue and swimwear modeling.)

I remember the exact editorial I fell in love with, that made me stare in awe at the girls gracing the pages of Vogue,during what I believe was the summer of 2006 before I started on my own modeling escapade-






That damn Fendi buckle bag and Hermes maxi-dress still haunt me to this day.


But after flipping through the latest Vogue, I am starting to revert back to "I don't get it."


(Prada)

And it's not something purely technical, like, I look at the up and coming girls and say "Why are they going for the gap toothed girls?" or "WOW they really like the strong jawline now."

It's more inexplicable than that. I can't quite put my finger on it.
They aren't nessecarily UGLY girls, they aren't anything extremely different from the usual high-fashion look...but they are?

Maybe the term I'm looking for is...

90's?


It's the styling, the whole essence of the girls they are picking now, and the general VIBE of fashion that I am just.not.getting.
Maybe I've finally fallen out of the model-loop? I am getting pretty old. (23 is a career killer for models.)

Bring back the Sashas and the Gemmas and the Magdelenas.

Some new faces that I can't grasp-














In other news -Raquel Zimmerman is looking really old.

In other other news - Raquel Zimmerman is old.



*UPDATE!*
I figured it out.
The girls before were delicate and looked like weird babydolls, really fragile looking.
The new "look" is really rough and angular in the face.



Ew.


No comments:

Post a Comment