Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Out Here, You're a Whacko if you Wear it.




Burberry, Prada, all headliners in the Fashion world, and will treasured by women (and men) until the earth explodes in a firey doomsday that is the Rapture.(Oh wait that already happened.)

Yeah, not here.

I decided, though blistering hot, (I guess 108 Degrees isn't THAT bad...if you're the Devil...) that I would be inside a cool, air conditioned salon and would be immune to the sweat and humidity inside and could wear one of my favorite fashion trends (from a few seasons ago, so sue me.)

The slouchy, ribbed sock with open-toed platforms trend that Burberry sent their Models down the runway in during the Summer '10 season.

I love it. Love Love Love. At first, I thought "Oh Noooo. What do they think we are, a bunch of foreign tourists? Some old men from Nebraska?!"

But the more I actually WORE the trend, the more it grew on me. It ended up turning into one of my favorite fall/winter fashion ensembles.

Of course, you have to do it right.

I paired my slate colored, slouchy ribbed stockings with some camel platform sandals, and of course, a pair of high waisted and cuffed, ribbon belted, slate colored mid-thigh shorts and an adorable camel pullover sweater with black detail to the collar and sleeve cuff area (It didn't actually have cuffs or a collar, but whatever) a black belt (We have to have some black on while working in the salon.)
My hair was straight but slightly tousseled, and my makeup was minimal with a touch of blush and some gold on the eyelids and eyes lined with a slate pencil.
Lips nude of course.

I was feeling very trendy, and confidently walked into work.

"....Are you wearing socks with heels?"
"Yeah, It's inspired by Burberry's 2010 collection."
...Blank stare...
"Oh thats cute!"

I don't think they really thought it was "cute."

After a whole day of strange looks, and literally every customer staring at my feet instead of my face, I realized... People here in this town sure do wear this trend (old men and some lazier ladies) and no one really notices, but dress it up and make it fashionable, and all of a sudden you are a total eccentric looney bird style-wise.

As one of my co-workers so eloquently (and maybe a bit agressively) put it-
"Keely, we are in _____. People here don't look at your shoes and KNOW it's Prada, or Burberry, or whatever. People here don't even know who those designers ARE. They just know you are wearing socks with sandals, not that you are being 'Fashionable.'"

Wait... isn't a point of fashion not for you to project a certain designer, but to wear the trend, and in that manner, SET the trend?

I don't see this trend catching on in my town anytime soon, well, because I would have to be wearing the newest from Abercrombie & Fitch (I used to work there, sadly, and pathetically admit that I do like a few things from the store and still own merchandise from A&F... but their Button-Down white blouses are pretty versatile, and their jeans are the only ones I can find that are long enough for my legs, while not falling off my waist. And I wear my jeans LONG, because I own a TON of wedges. That's my excuse.), or have to hang out around a bunch of downtown hipsters. (guilty)

I'm going to keep taking a crack at the local trends though, because if getting weird looks and comments gets a trend noticed, I don't care if it catches on or not.

I'm exposing them to some Culture and Fashion. One sock at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment